My ET baseline

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 17:11:37 EDT

Here is my ET baseline. I'm going to try and go to Carlsbad with some of
the SoCal Dak and Durango people in mid November.

I have a 4.7 Auto Club Cab SLT+ Overhead console, power seats, HD cooling,
Towing package, 100lb battery (!), tranny cooler, etc. It also has one of
those insanely heavy piece of crap plastic drop in bedliners (wife's
idea---Didn't know about the sprayins til I joined here). Short of a Quad
Cab I have about the heaviest Dak out there. The pilot also pushes 350lb
:-( (doesn't give me a very good powerlifting score).

The positives. I do have the tire and handling package. So 255-65-15
rubber, such as it is, and I do have the 3.92 with "Sure Grip" (now
Anti-spin).

This is from the heat of the day with a fairly strong headwind.

60 foot--------------2.273
330 foot------------6.565
1/8 mile----------10.099
1/8 mile MPH----69.37
1/4 mile----------15.805
1/4 mile MPH----86.45

I'm happy with the 60 foot given the vehicle. The 4.7 is not know for its
throttle response and low end. I load the suspension lightly at the line,
but try not to stall it up more than necessary. The converter is DAMN
tight. The 1/8 mile is pretty solid. I close to 9's and 70+, those are
decent street car numbers. I felt like the engine ran out of air at the
top end. I think the intake is going to mean alot. The shifts really
hurt. I would say the retarded timing and sluggish shifts are worth 4
tenths. This is based on what a tranny rebuild and shift kit did for a my
low 15 second 318 Cuda back in high school. Makes me want to thrown my
tricked out ProTrans A999 and high stall converter into the Dak for a
while. I wonder if these fit? I think the 4.7 bellhousing pattern is
standard LA smallblock. A custom driveshaft is no biggie. One of the
things that was strange this day was after the first two runs which were
fairly consistent, the times dropped off dramatically. My last run was
like a ~16.20. Couldn't figure it out. Everybody was dropping off. Yet
tempature was getting cooler. Wind was strong though. I was really
getting buffeted at the top end.

When I run in November, I will have HARD 295-50-15 tires. These will give
me an effective gear ratio of 4.13. It will also put 11.5" of tread on the
strip, a decent imporvement. But the compound is hard and slippery.

I have the Gibson dual exit catback and Quick D intake. I might have the
4.7 Quick D throttle body by then. So we shall see! Carlsbad is usually
DOWNWIND. Maybe next time the Santa Ana's won't be blowing I can run down
in the lower half of the 15's. I would be happy with that in a vehicle I
bought to tow my Road Runner!

Oh yes and I didn't list my reaction time... Mr. Drag Racer had a 1.107
light on this first pass. Damn this thing is slow reacting compared to my
drag cars!!! I had a hard time convincing myself not to wait for the third
amber much less the green as some of our guys were doing! I did get a
little better each run. The fourth run was a .530 light which I was quite
happy with. Too bad the ET was so damn slow that pass.

-Steve Ekstrand