RE: 380 crate/318 swap questions

From: Rick Lewis (rlewis@gric.com)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 19:47:58 EDT

I've been looking into this swap myself:

I highly believe the stock 5.2 and the crate motors all share the same
dimensions, everything should bolt right up.

The 380 comes with an M1 single plane manifold with fuel injector bosses
already cast into the manifold. Just need to get the manifold to someone who
can properly machine the bosses for the injectors. DON'T scrap the FI!(At
least I wouldn't)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Rick Lewis
(703) 928-3637
E-Mail: rlewis@gric.com
Washington, DC

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Ok, I have made up my mind to run the magnum 380hp 360cid motor in my '95
slt cc. I'll be removing my 318. I have several questions and anyone who has
answers or contacts I could call please respond.

I would like to run the fuel injection but the motor won't work with my MP
PCM. Does anyone know who does custom programming?
Does anyone offer a 750 CFM throttle body? I found 1000 CFM ones but I'm
guessing that is too much.
If I scrap the FI and run a carb what will the effect be on the rest of the
things that are controlled by the computer (like the tranny) and how do I
bypass all that?
Are the motor mounts and exhaust headers going to bolt right up?
Will I have to modify the radiator or fan assembly to fit or are the
external
dimensions of the 360 the same as my 318?
If anyone knows anyone who is running a carburated 380 crate motor please
let
me know how to contact them?

Any help is greatly appreciated

JOHN
95' 318 4.10 Auburn LSD, MP PCM, DT headers, Gibson 3" exhaust, catgo high
flow cat (3" inlet/outlet) 3" pipe from header Y to cat, K&N filter, 180
thermostat, MSD digital 6+ ignition, MSD HVC coil, MSD 8.5mm wires, HD
cap&rotor, oil filter relocation w/fram HP-1 racing filter,transgo shift
kit.