Re: Replacement Engine Costs

From: Chuong Nguyen (dester223@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 00:10:34 EDT

Hey, If I were you, I wouldn't trust that warranty Marshall has. (3 years
or 50,000 miles?) HA!

I worked at a company that will be left confidential and we basically
swapped rebuilt motors into vehicles.

We went through a couple companies. In Kansas City...
1) 4 star engines (has a lot of Ford motors, but gets everything in)
2) Marshall
3) Jasper
4) some other weird company I can't remember
5) junk yard motors that were sent to us

Okay, To start off, the Marshall engines we received were good, but if
there were a warranty claim or ANYTHING, believe it or not, we had to eat
the cost of warranty.. They sold us a couple Cadillac motors, and I believe
over the summer, we did about 5 of those motors and about 3 failed.
(blown head gasket due to improper torque, leaking intake manifold, and
other stuff) but the company had to eat the warranties and they were
CERTIFIED by marshall to install the motors. Oh well, if you are going with
them on the warranty, I wouldn't. They have lawyers and will fight your
case until the very end.

As for 4 star motors, They basically warrantied EVERYTHING that went wrong.
Without a doubt, they took back all the motors that they sold to us. We had
a escort with a 1.9 in it that got a new 4-star motor and there were 2 metal
pieces (looked like a broken valve keeper) that were IN the intake manifold,
and the mechanic didn't check it out completely, so after it was installed,
the metal pieces went inside the motor and banged it up pretty bad, but
4-star paid for a new motor (but the mechanic had to take the re-install,
since he screwed up)

What I'm saying is to not go on a company due to it's "reputation." TOO
much. I thought Marshall stood behind everything they sold, but man... I
swear the owner had a hell of a time trying to fight every claim out with
them.

Go out and get facts. Maybe ask for some customer referrals. Call up shops
and ask when they would think about "installing one of (company A's) motor
into your car..... get their opinions..

Check out other companies. MAybe you can even have a machine shop rebuild
you one. It's not really that hard to rebuilt a motor... Just need a
couple specialty tools, but if you can swap out a motor, the concepts of
rebuilding it isn't that much further off...
-Dester