Re: Need information on 4.7 Thermostat

From: IXLR8RT@aol.com
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 15:34:35 EDT

In a message dated 10/7/2000 2:01:21 PM Central Daylight Time,
cyberlaw@earthlink.net writes:

> Where is the Thermostat on the 4.7 and how is it replaced? I remember a
> thread in that and there being some confusion (it was different from a
> typical LA engine). What was the resolution? I must have missed it. Did
> anybody post a clear walkthrough? The gasket seems an issue, can you just
> use RTV?

I was looking thru the 2000 factory service manual yesterday at work.
It shows the t-stat located at the block, where the lower hose goes to it.
FSM say's to drain fluid by removing the lower hose (the 4.7 t-stat design is
different from pervious designs, they have it on the outlet side-not the
inlet side).
Unbolt 2 bolts that hold the t-stat housing on. Remove stat and reinstall new
unit. The 4.7 stat uses an O-ring instead of a gasket. No RTV is needed.

I haven't done mine yet, that's why I was reading up on it.

Someone else on the list has done it, let's hear from whoever it was.

The factory stat number is different from the 4.7 to the 318/360 number.

Someone posted the Robert Shaw number, I don't remember it off hand.

Good luck,
Jeff C.

"There's no such thing as too much cam, just not enough motor."
--David Freiburger

Jeff Capuzzi
00' Dakota Sport RC 2wd, IB with 4.7 V8, 5 speed, and 3.55 gears.
Decal free, 255/60-15 Firestone's, loud pipes, homemade cold air intake
system, homemade traction bar's, and more on the way...