Re: 1/4 wave (108") antenna

From: Preacher (preacher@carolina.rr.com)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 17:17:06 EDT

At 01:58 PM 10/9/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Steel or fiberglass, either will do the job. The
>reason the whips are only 102" is because they are all
>designed to be used with a metal spring that brings
>the total length back to 1/4 wave. You must use the
>spring or a metal spacer of the same length to get a
>proper "match" between the antenna and the radio.
>Want an ever better match? Make the antenna cable
>exactly 1/4 wavelength also. or 1/2 wave, full
>wavelength, etc.
>JB

Thanks for the reply... I heard about the coax length on another site.
After checking the way I installed, I have exactly 5/8 wave length cable
:-) (Purely coincidence)

Interesting tidbit.... my whip, when installed approx. 1ft inside the truck
bed jumped from 1.8:1 to 3+ with the tailgate down.
With the tailgate up, it was off the scale.....

Experimenting with various types of installation and length, I removed the
adjustment screw at the top, used a threaded rod to attach a thin metal
whip (36 inch steel) to the top of my 48" fiberglass and by adjusting the
length, I got it down to about 1.1:1 (That little meter on my CB is not
marked well enough to get an exact reading) but the needle was just a hair
off the 1.

Only problem is I have to dismount the antenna if I want to park in the
garage....

I am ordering a 102" whip today.

Preacher