RE: Feedback on Crane Cams ignition?

From: Alex Harris (aharris@signcast.com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 19:59:52 EDT

Hugh --

After doing a bit more investigation, I've come to think the HI-6S is more
equivalent to the MSD 5 (except for the rev limiter) -- they have similar
specs and are inductive discharge, while all the hugher-end systems are
capacative discharge. The HI-6 looks like it's equivalent to the MSD 6AL
($172), which I guess is the MSD6 with an automatic rev limiter. Crane makes
some claims about the HI-6 like "delivers a spark gap current three times
greater than that of competitive systems." whatever that means. I don't
really know what difference 10 millijoules here or there makes, so I can't
really glean much info from the specs, but I'm gonna call them tomorrow and
see what "competitive system" they're referring to. I might call MSD as well
and see what they have to say about Crane! Heh heh heh...

The Crane HI-6 is normally around $160, but I found it on sale at
International Racers Supply (www.racenet.net) for $139, in the Internet
Specials section. The matching coil is $45. From all the stuff I found out
there it appears Crane ignitions are probably pretty good, though no one on
the DML seems to have any info on them.

Hard to pass up the deal on the HI-6, but I'm leaning toward the MSD 6A
($131) just because there are a hundred folks on the DML who can answer
questions about it. And I'm sure it'll be more than I'll ever need. Still,
the temptation to try something different is always, uh, tempting.

- Alex/StL
'00 RC SLT V6 5-Speed
Autolite 3923's, Homebrew K&N