Re: Re: RE: belly Pan Gasket

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 10:26:21 EDT

At 09:11 PM 10/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I looked at mine today. It looked kind of damp but couldn't tell if it was
>oil. I really think my clattering is coming from my gas. I live in an area
>that is really concerned with Ozone and has several alert days every summer
>where bus rides are free and they frown on cutting grass, filling up, and
>excessive driving.... Bite Me, grin. I think our summer formula gas combined
>with the cool temperatures 30's at night 60's daytime is what is causing the
>clattering. Just the same I picked up a set of Autolites and a 180
>thermostat think I will drain and refill the coolant when I do this. I also
>need to remove that Jet paperweight that is plugged into the side of my
>computer. Anyhow should the bottom of the intake be completely dry?
>Thanks again Paul

Not necessarily. Depending on wear and driving habits, you can get a certain
amount of blow-by via the rings and/or valve seats/guides.

You can do a test to see if there is a proper seal of the belly pan gasket.

Remove the PCV valve from the passenger side valve cover but leave the PCV
valve attached to the hose from the intake manifold.

Remove the breather hose from the driver side valve cover that goes to
the air cleaner.

With the engine idling, place your thumb over the opening where the PCV
valve was located.

After 10-15 sec., you should feel pressure, which indicates that the sealing.
If you feel a vacuum, the gasket is leaking and needs to be removed and
resealed with RTV sealant.

Hope this helps.

Bob. Ont, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95