Re: Re: Re: RE: Street-Legal Supercar

From: Sean Bruckman (bruckman@urisp.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 12:56:49 EDT

I would love to believe that the Viper could ever compete with a beast like
the McLaren F1. I'm gonna have to shoot you guys down again though... no
viper could ever hope to compete with a McLaren, not even the incredibly
potent 650R. The F1 takes first gear to 60 mph in 2.9s. The best test i've
seen of the 650R showed 3.3s 0-60. The 650R also has no chance of competing
in cornering or braking. We're talking about upgraded road cars and
downgraded racecars here... there is a meeting point, but the viper will
never see the potential of the 680 HP, 2341 lb. (in race trim) McLaren.
Racing regulations aside, the McLaren has even more potential for power...

I agree though, that if i had $155,000 to spend, i wouldn't wait until i had
a million, i'd just buy the nearly-as-potent 650R, which is by far the best
value in supercars. But for that $million+ you get a car with over 100hp/L
for most of it's powerband, which no ricer, no big V8, and no viper V10
could hope to achieve. Mario Andretti said it could easily pull another gear
past the one that gets it to 221mph because it was pulling so strong up
until it started hitting the rev limiter.

Sean Bruckman

P.S. Let's all write letters to DC demanding that they purchase TAG McLaren.
=)
(i think they already own part of it because Mercedes had a stake in that
company)