Re: Helping a friend find parts (non-Dak)

From: Corey Betka (betka@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 23:08:22 EDT

I own two luminas (a 91 3.1 and a 93 3.4 DOHC). Don't make any HP
adding changes to the 3.1. If it runs great now, do regular maint. on
it and it will reward you with running about as long as any GM
designed POS can. Add a few HP to it, and it will do the same thing
the 3.4L DOHC has done to my 93 - overpower the tranny, burn through
rotors/pads like a hot knife through butter, overheat on any day over
90, etc.

Chevy took the tranny designed to match the 3.1 almost perfectly and
bolted it on to a hi-po motor (comparativly) in the 3.4L to try and
compete with Ferds SHO Taurus, just proving GMs low IQ requirement in
the engineering dept. (it's got 4 doors and a cool slanted 3.4 behind
the Euro graphic, that will make people buy it, right?)

Ever try to change the spark plugs in a 3.1 Lumina? You get to take
out one of the motor mount dogbones and rotate the top of the motor
forward on the trans-axle....And don't even get me started on what
brake jobs involve.

Hopefully I'll trade this 93 off on a '01 Dak CC SLT 4x4 4.7L real
soon now. Going to talk to a dealer tommorrow...

Corey Betka