RE: RE: FW: New dyno results, 4.7L Leach custom PCM

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 11:08:28 EDT

Not only can it ruin engine performance, it can ruin your engine. The
concept of timing is to try and get combustion to occur at the best moment
to allow your engine to create maximum power. As your RPMs increase your
timing needs to be advanced so that combustion can occur at precisely the
moment your piston gets up to the top. As RPM's increase it takes less time
for that to occur. We're only talking milliseconds here but a millisecond
is a long time. If you advance too much you will ignite your mixture before
your engine is ready to use it, consequently pinging or detonation occurs.
Higher octane fuel may alleviate that at part throttle but when you get to
WOT the premature ignition and combustion chamber temperatures can start
burning valves, making holes in pistons, etc.

Ron
00 SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD
For modifications see my DML Profile