R/T and lousy towing capacities

From: Henry Hagemeier (jhhagemeier@Msn.com)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 16:31:28 EDT

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a travel trailer in the near future. I will be
divorced Nov. 1st, 2000 and need a place to live. I thought since I have
always wanted a travel trailer this might be a good chance for me to kill
two birds with one stone.

Because of the divorce I traded my 2000 Dakota 4.7, towing package, heavy
duty this and that, for an R/T. I have been impressed with the power and
torque of the R/T. However, when I looked in the manual the R/T with the
3.55 diff. is only capable of towing a 2000 pound trailer. What is the
story here? If you have the 3.92 diff you can tow a trailer around 6000
pounds. I don't see how that could make such a big difference. The other
Daks don't have as big of a discrepancy as the R/T.

Thanks,
Henry Hagemeier
San Antonio, Tx
2000 Red R/T