Re: Re: 180 Thermostat & 4.7L

From: James Brown (f1jim@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 20:13:41 EDT

Hi jay
I believe the technical term for the product is that
it's an "adjuvant." This means it breaks down waters
ability to bead or "wall up" and this lets it flow
more efficiently onto whatever surface it's on. In
this case, the walls of the radiator and engine. This
lets heat transfer more effectively. Heat moves to
the water from the engine and then from the water to
the surface of the radiator. The same technology is
used with insecticides on crops. The insecticide is
mixed with an adjuvant and then it more effectively
adheres to the leaves and stems of the plant. Better
coating.
These products work better the more water and the less
coolant that is in the system. Water is a better
transfer mechanism for heat than ethylene glycol but
it boils faster. Even with a 50/50 mix these products
can bring down the temp but not as much as they
advertise. Even so, sometimes 5-7 degrees makes all
the difference in some parts of the country!!!!
JB