ra: Stalling

From: Miles Harris III (spikes_duall@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 15:46:47 EDT

>------------------------------

>Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:25:25 -0400
>From: Casey Wren <cwren@bju.edu>
>Subject: DML: Stalling

>I have a 1988 Dodge Dakota SE 3.9L V6

>My truck will drive fine most of the time but every so often it will
>just lose power like it is not getting any gas and shortly thereafter
>die. Pushing on the gas peddle does nothing. The oil guage drops to 0
>and the low oil light comes on. Is there a sensor for that, that is
>killing the engine?......

I'm not sure how this applies to your stalling problem or if it fits into
the stalling sequence, however, way back in 1971 or 72 GM routed the
electric fuel pump on the Chevy Vega through the oil pressure idiot light.
If you lost oil pressure the fuel pump would be shut-off preventing you from
driving and doing damage to the engine. Turned out to be a good thing when
you consider how much oil blew through the aluminum block Vega engine. This
information did not appear in the owners manuel. I found it buried in the
small print of a brochure.

I don't know if Dodge does the same thing (or if even if GM still runs the
fuel pump in series with the oil light). Just one more area to check
depending on what is happening when your truck stalls.

Miles Harris III
Simi Valley, CA
Proud (so far) new owner (one week) of a 2001 Silver Dakota Club Cab Sport
with the four banger and a five speed (don't think they come any other way).
Hey, it ain't fast but it has the power I need and I won't be stopping at as
many gas stations. Anyway, when I want a thrill I'll take the 97 Maita
through the pass.