Re: dakota club cab 4x4 rt with a 5speed?

From: Terry Herrin (therrin@isaac.net)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 10:11:25 EDT

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 01:50:15 EDT, Ohm347@aol.com wrote:
>its the whole mating it up to a factory five speed that i can't believe. i
>didn't think the trannie could handle the load from the 5.9. hence why you
>can't buy an RT with a stick. for that matter you can't get the 5.9 with a
>stick till you get into the 2500 ram's. and while i'm thinking on these
>lines how would you get a 5.9 computer to deal with a 5 speed. all the

While it may not be easy, it can be done, and there are a lot of
people out there with more money than they know what to do with. Toss
enough money at a vehicle and you'd be amazed at what can be done. A
5.9 with a 5 speed in a 4x4 Dakota? Sure, it's doable if you have the
money. A Viper V10 or a Hemi crate engine can be put in a late model
Dakota, if you throw enough money at it. The point is, you were angry
that a 5.9 five-speed 4x4 might have come from the factory as a
special order, and was wondering if you should be mad at your dealer.
You can rest easy, you don't have to be mad at your dealer. However
that truck was built, it was done aftermarket. One other point, if
that engine was a 5.2, as indicated on the vin, then all the guy did
was add decals, lower it and put on R/T wheels. That to me is the
most likely scenario. He could have put a lot of effort into creating
an exhaust system to make the 5.2 sound very much like a 5.9. It
would be a lot easier to do that than engine/tranny swaps, etc.

Terry Herrin
99 FR CC R/T
14.769 @ 91.43
Wilmington, NC