Re: RE: cutting cat - help!

From: AWyseGuy@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 22:33:16 EDT

In a message dated 10/18/2000 8:40:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
coolva1@home.com writes:

> How do you figure the sniffer cant tell??
> I would think that is what it checks for... I'd like to hear this... =-)
> Not that there is nothing wrong running w/o cats }|-) after all.. I dont
> have any =-)

The sniffer is basically checking to see how the engine is running.. The new
engine control systems have the motors so efficient that the cats make very
little difference at all anymore. I was just reading that FL will be
stopping it's testing alltogether soon because they found it's not making a
noticable difference in air quality; and has been a waste of peoples time and
money(and that's how the politictans worded it)
The cats made a difference back in the 70's when the cars had carbs, and
barely even had electronic ignition yet.
I once read an article with a non emmision 454 Chevy being able to pass the
sniff tests for LEV for california.. A well tuned motor.. will run clean..

And as for cats personally .. all my Dodges right now are 4cyl.. and they
hate cats under them. IF I needed backpressure that bad. I'd just put a
muffler on that didn't offer maximum flow. problem fixed. after all.. teh
objective is. get air in.. and get it back OUT.
Aaron
95 Dakota Sport
86 Shelby Charger Turbo
94 Dakota WS (evolving into Sport)