Re: Re: Xfer Case Skid Plate

From: Killerdak@aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 09:56:30 EDT

Thanks Jason & Kyle-
Those are the right numbers for what I ordered. What I got was #52058469
(different #)--and there is no way any of the holes line up with anything
under my truck! Looks like they gave me the wrong part...great...

____________________
Dave Kilian -- Clayton, NC
'96 Dakota CC 4x4 3.9L 5-spd, 4.10, 4" susp/2" Body lift, 33" MT's etc...

In a message dated 10/19/00 7:34:06 PM, grndak4x4@home.com writes:

<< > Kyle, you have any pics of the Gen II Xfer case skid plate installed? I

> picked one up from the dealer this week and for the life of me I can't

figure

> out how it bolts in...I think they might have given me the wrong one

> perhaps...?

Dave,

My truck's tcase skid plate bolts to the frame crossmember infront of the

tcase using two bolts and it also bolts to the frame crossmember running

behind the tcase also using two bolts. Both front and rear frame

crossmembers/braces already had the holes in them from the factory. I once

tried to bolt down the front 2 holes/bolts first and them move to the back,

but the holes wouldnt line up. You have to keep all 4 corners loose, the

tcase allows for that much play, so all 4 holes can be lined up. I usually

use a floor jack and line up the front holes first and just spin the nuts on

the bolts rather loosely and then line up the rear holes and bolt them on;

then proceed to tighten them all down. Sorry but I currently have no pics of

the tcase. I hope this has helped you out some. Not sure if the tcase design

matters for 5speed compared to my auto tranny, but based on below

auto/manual doesnt matter. I would call a dealer, a different one than where

you bought the tcase plate at, just to double check. Wait a minute.....I

have these part numbers!! Here they are:

*1987-1996 Front Axle Skid Plate; Part #4412114; Cost $118

*1987-1993 Transfer Case Skid Plate; Part #4412171; Cost $52

*1994-1996 Transfer Case Skid Plate; Part #52058070; Cost $37

*1987-1996 Fuel Tank Skid Plate; Part #4279781; Cost $225

Do these make sense and match what part numbers you have Dave? >>