Re: sparkplugs and 180 thermostat

From: Aurelio Lopez (alopez7458@netzero.net)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 19:53:54 EDT

jay & dana wrote:

> This may be another stupid idea but I have heard the Autolite 5224's and
> 5223's extend further into the combustion chamber than the 3923's and
> 3924's. Wouldn't the plug that extends further into the combustion chamber
> raise the compression ratio a small amount, albeit so slightly? Or am I
> just blowing smoke here?
> Also I have always thought that when changing an engines thermostat you
> should stick with the original temp. If you install the 180 and it was
> designed for the 195 won't that prevent your engine from reaching "normal
> operating temperature"which is suppose to deliver maximum fuel economy and
> performance from that engine? Just thought I would throw 2 questions out
> for some expert advice.
>
> Thanks
> Jay

I'm certainly not an expert by any stretch but I did research this prior to
installing the 180 t-stat. I found out from the DML the magnum engine computer
wants to see a temperature range between 175 to 205 with 182 being the best
temperature. Above or below this range will trigger an engine code and the
Service Engine light. Replacing the stock t-stat with the 180 keeps the engine
within it's optimum range while also helping to keep it cooler. A cooler engine
will produce more HP and reduce pinging.

Aurelio

--
'00 QC Sport Plus
Intense Blue Pearlcoat