Non-Dak engine starting problem, please help?

From: Alex Harris (aharris@signcast.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 17:20:45 EDT

OK, this is for my old Volvo, but you all are the most knowledgeable people
I know when it comes to cars, so I'm coming to you for assistance.

My 1988 240DL four-banger started having a problem last summer. When the
temperature got over 90 and the car was parked in the sun, it would not
start. It turns over, but "feels" as if it's not getting fuel. If I get the
car into the shade and it cools a bit, it starts just fine. The ambient
temperature threshhold for this problem has slowly been getting lower over
the past few months, and today it wouldn't start with the temp near 80.

This baffled me before I got the Dak, but since I've been on the DML I've
learned a lot more about modern engines -- computers, FI and so on (I'd
never worked on a post-1974 engine before), and the knowledge I've gained
here has helped me get some new ideas.

Based on general knowledge of fuel-injected engines -- not necessarily
Volvo-specific -- does this symptom ring any bells? Sensors, injectors,
something along those lines, and diagnostics or remedies I might try prior
to taking it to the mechanic?

Thank you ever so much in advance for your insight. I sold this car to a
friend and I'd like to help her avoid an expensive shop visit if necessary.

- Alex/StL
'00 RC SLT V6 5-Speed
Autolite 3923's, Homebrew K&N, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 50