Important DML Calendar question

From: Chris Lambert (mopar88@efortress.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 22:24:53 EDT

How about a truck by truck rating, then the most popular trucks are rated
by the most popular pictures of that truck... conceivably the same truck
could have pictures of itself.... "Oh darn, I've gone cross-eyed..."
(Adapted from Austin Powers II)

Chris

> So I'm sitting here scanning in pics for the DML calendar voting,
>and a question occurred to me...
>
> First, a little background...
>
> The way its set up now, the pics are placed on a page, and people vote
>for their favorite pics. The 12 most popular pics make it into the calendar.
>There is already a stipulation that the same truck can't make it into the
>calendar twice (so for example, if someone submitted two pictures, and
>they ended up being #2 and #10 in the voting, the #2 pic would make it in
>the calendar, #10 would be dropped, and #13 would become #12.)
>
> ANYWAY, some people do send in multiple pics, but the way it is currently
>set up, lets say that half of the voters liked picture #1 and half liked
>picure #2. It is conceivable that neither of the pictures would make it
>into the calendar, even though 100% of the people voted for that truck.
>(because the votes were split between them, like Bush and Perot...)
>
> So, my question is, should I just do it on a "picture by picture" basis
>or on a "truck by truck" basis where I would add up all the votes for
>one truck, and the most popular picture of that truck gets all of the
>votes?
>
> The reason I ask is that several people (this year and last year)
>have sent in multiple pictures of their truck where the pictures are
>extremely similar. (i.e. same angle, same surroundings, just a small
>differences) It seems to me that it would be a shame to have the votes
>for a particular truck spread out over a few (essentially identical)
>pictures and thus bump a truck out of the calendar.
>

> Probing further,
>
> If you favor the "truck by truck" basis, do you think it should be
>"truck by truck" no matter what, or only "truck by truck" for similar
>pictures?
>
> Is this making sense to anyone? :-) Its a bit hard to explain...
>

> -Jon-
>
> .---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------.
> | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
> | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
> `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'

'00 CC, Packin a 287 Magnum, 5-sp, Gibson Duals, Traction Bars, Spring
Clamps, Magnum Front Plate, Quick D Intake, "Smoke Em" Decal, Paint
In bed-liner, More to come
http://www.intense99dak.com/chris.htm