www.car-truck.com "Buzz Watch Exclusives"

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 09:54:16 EDT

Haven't "borrowed" anything from this site recently without giving us proper
credit? Please feel free to skip ahead to the next item. If you have, read
on.

Webster's Collegiate dictionary defines Plagiarism as "the act of stealing
and passing off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own: use (of
another's production) without crediting the source" and "to commit literary
theft : present as new and original an idea or product derived from an
existing source."

What would you folks call it when a writer for a respected news services,
takes copyrighted information first published in three clearly labeled "Buzz
Watch Exclusives" and then republishes that copyrighted information with
giving credit to its source?

I've got a few suggestions.

Here's another definition from Webster's. Professional Ethics: "the
principles of conduct governing an individual or a group." You'd be hard
pressed to find a journalist that doesn't know that using exclusive,
copyrighted material as the starting point for a story without giving credit
to the source of that material is not only unethical it's also illegal.

I'd like to believe that most recent example of unaccredited "borrowing" was
the result of an over-site. If this is the case, a prompt correction,
clarifying that the www.car-truck.com Buzz Watch column originally broke
these stories might remedy this unfortunate situation.

Reference: http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b102400.htm "Buzz Watch
exclusives

 First I laughed at this but I must say, he has done a wonderful job on
inside information and wish to credit him as the best DC underground mole on
the Internet. Let us give him a clap of applause for the great effort and
work to keep the news going with the latest spy shots.

Steven St.Laurent
Test Engineer
Test Branch, GSD, MCTSSA
MARCORSYSCOM, USMC