RE: Stopped by my local Dodge Dealer

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 21:17:58 EDT

Well, I took a look under the truck and found where the fuel and brake lines
rub. There really isn't anything else that needs to be done (in my case)
since I was able to bend them (as instructed) away from each other and put a
sleeve around them to protect them.

I have the recall notice as well but there's no official number on it. Just
a mail-in card and the actual notice of the recall.

"The chassis fuel tube on your Dakota may contact the cab underbody.
Prolonged fuel tube contact may cause the tube to run through and leak.
Fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source can result in an
underbody fire.

In addition, the rear brake hose may contact the rear axle vent hose.
Prolonged brake hose contact may cause the hose to rub through and leak,
resulting in a partial brake system loss and increased stopping distance.
The increased distance can cause an accident without warning."

(Not a problem on the fuel line for me since the body was lifted 2" but I
bent it and secured it anyway.) Only dumb question here: with a broken brake
line..you don't have ANY stopping distance...some of the legal-beagles at DC
went a little bit overboard with this one.

- Bernd