Re: Dateline report

From: Mark Jackson (a0004096@airmail.net)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 10:53:12 EDT

I'll have to agree with you. From what I've seen, a lot of people be it
women or men, are used to driving low(er) to the ground cars. Then they get
these $40,000 Expeditions or whatever and expect them to behave the exact
same. The school where my kid attends, I watched 7 of these thing pull into
the parking lot and just wondered just how many (statistically) would end up
totaled from rolling over. I drove one myself (rented) a couple of years
ago. I've driven bigger vehicles and was anticipating a little body roll.
My wife clawed the door handle and center console every time we went around
a turn. It wasn't because of how I was driving, but rather the difference
between it and the low(er) to the ground car that we owned at the time that
hardly ever felt like the body shifted. It took her a few hours to get used
to it. From the driver's point of view, the vehicles have a purpose and a
use provided you know how to handle them. Like handguns or rifles. You
shouldn't give them to someone without first telling them which way the
bullets go in or come out. It's just a given that people know this. But
people should be given some kind of warning or pamphlet that explains
basically that a 5000+lb. vehicle that sits 1-2 feet off of the ground won't
take a curve or sharp turn like a Vette or C'maro. Some of these people
were used to driving the Volvos or BMWs that have "sports tuned" suspension
systems. This brings me to another question....

Why do people get these huge things be it GM, Ford, or DC and get to an itty
bitty speed bump in the parking lot of a grocery store and come to nearly a
dead stop before very cautiously rolling over it? I mean come one, they do
have "rugged" truck parts (wheels, tires, shocks) that can handle whatever
is thrown at them. At least that's what the commercials imply. Seen that
Chevy/GMC one where a Suburban is going up hill like over a mountain,
bouncing over rocks? Or the one for Nissan's Frontier splashing through
mud? I saw this lady once driving in Loop 635 Westbound in Dallas and there
is a bump that is where a bridge starts. She's driving a Jeep Wrangler type
vehicle and I was watching her when she got to the bump. The Jeep bounced,
and so did she. I hands (that's right both of them) came off of the
steering wheel. Scary!!!

This has to be like the longest post. I usually don't type this much (at
one time).