Re: Re: Dateline report

From: Lance Robertson (lrzone@lrzone.com)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 10:51:17 EDT

---
Lance Robertson
LRZone Webmaster
http://www.lrzone.com/

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Mark Jackson wrote:

> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:53:12 -0500 > From: Mark Jackson <a0004096@airmail.net> > Reply-To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net > To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net, > Multiple recipients of Mopar <mml@ChE2.tamu.edu> > Subject: DML: Re: Dateline report > <STUFF DELETED TO SAVE ELECTRONIC TREES> > > Why do people get these huge things be it GM, Ford, or DC and get to an itty > bitty speed bump in the parking lot of a grocery store and come to nearly a > dead stop before very cautiously rolling over it? I mean come one, they do > have "rugged" truck parts (wheels, tires, shocks) that can handle whatever > is thrown at them. At least that's what the commercials imply. Seen that > Chevy/GMC one where a Suburban is going up hill like over a mountain, > bouncing over rocks? Or the one for Nissan's Frontier splashing through > mud? I saw this lady once driving in Loop 635 Westbound in Dallas and there > is a bump that is where a bridge starts. She's driving a Jeep Wrangler type > vehicle and I was watching her when she got to the bump. The Jeep bounced, > and so did she. I hands (that's right both of them) came off of the > steering wheel. Scary!!! >

I ask myself the same question every time I see some huge 4X4 taking a speed bump at .00001 mph. I was up in Sedona a couple years ago (We go up there yearly for the Red Rock Fantasy of Lights) and we took the Kodak Photo Jeep Tour. The guy was telling us that a couple of years prior Ford was up there filming a commercial for the Ranger. They were taking it up Shnebly Hill, which if you've ever seen it is like rock steps. I would be afraid to take any vehicle up it at more than a snails pace. Well they were running this Ranger up it and had mechanics and axles standing by. He said they got no further than 2 "steps" each time and had to replace the axle. They would film two steps, replace the axle, film 2 more steps, repeat. I thought was pretty Hilarious the amount of work to go through to deceive the public. I"m sure some moron bought one and tried to run it up a flight of "stairs" and busted an axle.