Re: Warranty?

From: bernd@texas.net
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 11:35:11 EDT

"Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of
provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly
denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the gist of the
law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are
present on the vehicle, or have been used. (see Attachment A for details). The
warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the
malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this
area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather
than arguments over interpretations of the law."

ATTACHMENT A

"Federal Warranty Laws
1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The
essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle
manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers
using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name
(such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided
free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not
cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend
to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage
being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of
any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its
being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied
warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such
product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without
charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or
corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))

The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-
related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. The
production warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is
designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at
the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to
warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as
tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty
periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the
warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8
years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control
unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned
on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.

Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty
repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely
because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only
circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions
warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty
claim."