Sick Dak

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 23:54:58 EDT

My girlfriend laughed at me when I told here how my truck ran today. She
said it is time to send it on to greener pastures, and of course, I just
laughed. Remind you, she is driving a 2000 Durango 4.7L 4x4. My truck has
been eating gas lately, getting very crappy city mileage, but the highway
mileage has remained the same since I bought it at 13,000 miles. Today, both
while driving to work and during the drive home, I heard a god aweful noise.
This noise reminded me of 3 automotive related noises I have heard before:
-Noise my 1990 Plymouth Colt made when the crankshaft bolt came loose and
blew the engine; $2200 damage, all covered under warranty
-Noise my dad's old old old work car made(1978 Chevy Caprice Wagon, 350 V8)
when the timing chain went loose and skipped a few teeth
-Noise my dad's current work car made this past summer(1988 Taurus), when
the alternator's bearing blew out and rattled like a beast

During my drive to work, my truck made this repeated metal type clattering
noise, very loud, during acceleration and lasted about 5 seconds. It did
this twice on the way to work. It also made the same noise coming home from
work, only once but lasted about 10 seconds this time. It sounded bad
fellas, I even pulled over and popped the hood. I sounded like a 2 cylinder
engine running with some bad fuel in it getting ready to puke. I have no
clue how to explain it. So what could this noise be???? Can I check the
timing to see if the chain has skipped? Would a severely worn chain cause
poor gas mileage? The Dak is parked until I can figure out what needs
replacing, part-wise.......definately not truck-wise!!! Also, current
mileage is 130,400 miles.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6