Re: Part throttle Solenoid

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 14:06:19 EST

At 08:05 AM 10/30/00 EST, you wrote:
>I'm getting a "37" error code which according to the book is a Part Throttle
>Solenoid problem. The truck seems to run fine until a moderate full-throttle
>run, afterwards in which the idle won't come down to normal idle (usually
>around 1300 rpm at a stoplight in drive). Where should I begin to diagnose?
>Also what does a converter sound like when it's shot? I'm getting this
>strange what sounds like a rattling noise from inside the converter housing.
>Truck runs great, just workin out the wrinkles..... -Austin

My '97 FSM shows 2 listings for a 37 MIL code.

One is hex code 32 or generic scan tool code P0753: Trans 3-4 shift sol./
trans. relay circuits ... current state of output port for the solenoid is
different from expected state. This one will illuminate the MIL.

The other is hex code 94 or generic code P0740: Torq. Conv. Clutch, no
rpm drop at lockup ... relationship between engine speed and vehicle
speed indicates no torque converter clutch engagement. This one will not
illuminate the MIL. From your description of rattling noise from inside
the converter housing, this one is probably the one that applies to you.

Hope this helps.

Bob