Update on mods [Kevin D.]

From: Alex Harris (aharris@signcast.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 20:26:35 EST

Hey Kevin, and whoever else is interested --

Sorry I didn't respond earlier to your queries about how the mods are going,
I had someone from HQ in town this weekend. Hit 27 bars over Fri-Sat night,
yikes (I work in the nightlife industry)!!

Here's a brief synopsis of my results, which are based solely on organic
sensors! :-) Being a data freak, I would love to have done a dyno run and a
couple of tanks of gas between each mod, but I also suffer from a severe
lack of patience sometimes. Anyone who wants to add anything or dispute my
uninformed impressions with hard data please feel free to jump in!

The Flowmaster Delta-Flow 50 went on a little over a week ago. The sound is
really nice... and seemed to improve over the first couple of days. Did I
just get used to it, or is there some sort of "tempering" effect or other
break-in that happens when you first start running hot exhaust through it?
Can't imagine how that would affect the sound... must be just me.

Performance-wise, I noticed a serious drop in low-end power, it was harder
to break the tires loose after it went on. However, I get a HUGE boost from
about 2800 RPM (plug your ears, Will! j/k) until I hit the back end of the
curve, maybe about 4400, which I find absolutely delightful. Vroom!

The MSD 6A/Blaster SS ignition seemed to add even more power across the
entire RPM range. It helped the low-end, but not enough to restore the power
I had before the Flowmaster went in. Still, I have no complaints. The
Superconductors and the NAPA/Echlin brass cap and rotor went in the day
before the ignition, and I still haven't regapped my plugs! Tomorrow...

I installed these items within a few days of each other, so I didn't have a
much opportunity to really break down the effects of each individual mod
much beyond this. Overall, I'm quite delighted with the combination of my
mods now... and I should have headers going on soon! Woo hoo!

Now I have to save up for a TB and wait until my Badyears blow up to squeeze
a set of 255/65/15's on instead of these stock skinnies. Hehehehe... I
think I'm having waaay too much fun! The cool thing is I've only spent about
$400. Thanks, DML!

- Alex/StL
'00 RC SLT V6 5-Speed
Autolite 3923's