aftermarket tachs

From: Davidson, Kevin (ked@iti-oh.com)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 14:33:40 EST

Here's a question that is probably quite dumb, but I need to
know the answer so I'll go ahead and ask...

What does it take to install an aftermarket tach? I've seen
lots of tachs available on various websites, and none of them
seem to mention anything about installation. Do these things
determine engine speed based on a signal from the distributor?
Or from the tranny? The computer? Fill me in here - I'd like
to have a tach, but my truck doesn't have one (although it is
a 5sp - go figure...). This isn't for strip use or anything,
I just want a plain ol' tach.

as always, any info is appreciated

-Kevin D.
97 cc V6 5sp, 3923's, 180tstat, homebrew K&N