Re: dodge 440

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 19:50:19 EST

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Wes Weems wrote:

> Humm.....
>
> So your saying I could do it huh? My understanding was that as of 79 or
> somethign, they stopped making the 440, so I am sure none of the sensors and
> what not would be taken care of... are you talking about doing away with the
> computer all together?

  Yep, you can kiss your stock computer good-bye. You'd be looking at
switching to a carb (bleagh!) or aftermarket fuel injection (ka-ching!)
For that particular project, the most difficult aspects would probably
be hacking up the engine bay to get enough length for the 440 and
deciding what you want to do for gauges. Converting to EFI could
be a fairly big deal too, depending on wether you do it yourself or
not. Rance would probably be happy to sell you a turnkey EFI package
for the 440, but its not gonna be cheap!

  Check out Mopar Action (including the current issue) for an overview
of what is involved in going aftermarket EFI.

  I will be converting my Dak to aftermarket EFI eventually, but I am
waiting for the prices to drop on a system that can run closed loop
at WOT. (Anyone heard anything about the Accel DFI Gen 7.0? I see its
listed as a new product on Accel's web site, but haven't seen it for sale
anywhere and can't find a feature list either. I heard fun little rumors
that it will do closed loop WOT and cost way less than the Speed Pro
system. I've been waiting months and months for this thing to get
released!)

  Have fun! :-)
                                              -Jon-

  .---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'