Update on my Dak/PING REFLASH questions

From: Steve Preston (steve318@webtv.net)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 20:22:05 EST

The latest: I`m taking my Dak to the place I bought it this coming
Friday,to leave it until it`s fixed.This place is 80 miles away(in my
hometown),and it will be their first shot at fixing it.I had been
talking to the General manager about the fluctuating idle before,and
today he said that there will be another reflash coming out in January
(Detroit is working on it now) to correct this condition.I know some 4.7
owners have this problem also.Anyway,I spoke with a service tech about
my pinging that has come back,and of course he mentioned the 4-degree
timing retard flash.I told him I was concerned about that due to the
performance loss.But he said it fixes the problem,and there have been no
complaints regarding power loss.I would like some feedback from anybody
here that has had this done.As long as they fix my hesitation
problem,I`ll probably be so happy that I will not miss a few horsepower
lost from the ping flash.But if the flash kills a lot of power,I`ll be
upset.I`ve only got 175hp.What does the flash do to mileage? Are they
gonna give me any grief over the 3923 plugs? Sorry for all the
questions.Thanks! By the way,Bernd,if you`re there,I know you have had
the flash and are happy with it(aren`t you?),but you could lose a
HUNDRED HP and not notice :>) hee hee. 500 HP V6.

99 Dakota Sport Intense Blue RC 4X4 V6 42RE 3.92 Anti-Spin w/Infinity CD
system and optional hand-crank windows (2) 3923 Autolite spark plugs
Big Blue Ram sticker in the slider window that intimidates people into
establishing a safe following distance