Intake Temperatures

From: Woodruff, Jason P (Jason.Woodruff@West.Boeing.com)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 16:32:16 EST

Here's some scientific data for you guys. Somebody may have already done
this, but I wanted to get numbers for myself. I recently replaced my stock
air intake with my own Cold air Homebrew ABS tube and K&N filter and removed
the rubber flap from behind the grill. I used 3 RTD sensors to get temps
from 1.) outside, 2.) taped to the new K&N filter, 3.) placed in the fender
well where the old intake was aimed. The actual temperatures might not be
accurate, but relative to each other they are. Here's some average #'s I
got, temperatures are in Celsius.

                Outside On K&N Fender
Morning before 14.5 14.6 14.4
start up

Warmed up idle 14.6 45.7 50.4

25mph 14.3 14.7 19.7

60-70mph 14.2 14.5 18.5

What these #'s don't show is that the sensor taped to my K&N filter reacted
to motion MUCH faster than the one in the fender well. I noticed pulling
away from stops that the filter sensor dropped to near outside temp almost
immediately, while the fender sensor took between 30 and 60 seconds. Hence
at steady state I've been seeing 4-5C degree (7-9F) cooler temps with my
new system over the stock intake, and during acceleration up to 30C (54F)
degree differences.

G-tech shows a 16hp improvement, and my butt dyno agrees.

In my first week I got my best mpg average ever by .5mpg. This was while
commuting in traffic while my old best mark was from long slow open roads.

I made my intake out of ABS tubing and shape it Z like. It actually makes
two U turns and puts the filter way up in front.

Jay W
4.7L Auto Sport+ C.C. 2wd Black
Mods
Appearance: Grill inserts, clear corner lenses, Aiwa MP3 Player
Performance: Removed rubber flap, Appointment w/Hotchkis, Homebrew K&N, Jet
Chip Stage II.