What Exactly Does All this mean?!?!?!

From: Jeffrey Wilson (jeffalso88@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 22:49:02 EST

I'm fairly new to this list and have recently purchased my FIRST Truck.
Already I've seen and learned some things about the Dakota I never thought
I'd learn :) Great List Guys.

Back in March I purchased a 2000 QC 4.7L V8 Magnum. Did quite a bit of
looking around before I decided on this truck, then after I decided on it
found a TON of info that spoke nothing but good things about the Dakota.

Anyway, my question:

How much can I actually TOW?

The QAWR per axle on my truck is listed as 3100lbs.
The QVWR on the truck is 5680lbs.

I had gotten the optional tow package (actually was a freebie as the dealer
didn't have the truck I wanted, that didn't have the tow package, but had a
truck in a different color and with several extra options I haggled him into
giving me cheap).

So, here I am about to buy a Class III hitch because I may be having to haul
my wife's new horse and its trailer (I wasn't expecting this when I bought
the truck so I'm not even sure it can handle it).

I know the horse only weighs in around 1000lbs. Its a small welsh horse.
The trailer will prolly be wieghing in between 1000 and 1500lbs (I've got my
eye on a couple of them).

Will the Dakota handle this? Anyone know roughly how much the 2000 QC
wieghs (estimate is fine for now)? Anyone know best way for me to discover
the Gear Ratio my truck? I looked at the sticker on the door but maybe I
missed it...

Thanks in Advance
Jeffrey Wilson