checking engine codes

From: jay & dana (jay&dana@telus.net)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 16:45:58 EST

Tried it for the first time today. Jon S. was right. All I got was a 12,
that's good, but no 55? No matter. Then I thought what the hey, try it
with the ODO button pressed at the same time as doing the key on off cycle.
(1997 Dakota 318) Huh! I got a "Chec" on the ODO, seconds later a "950",
then seconds after that a "999", then the lights and gauges on the dash did
there thing. Neat, first time my tach and speedo were that far to the
right! I guess it can be done. Any way has any one else experienced the
"Chec, 950, 999" before, and if so what does it mean? Got me curious.

Thanks
Jay