Re: checking engine codes

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 15:12:13 EST

At 03:45 PM 11/8/00, you wrote:
>Tried it for the first time today. Jon S. was right. All I got was a 12,
>that's good, but no 55? No matter. Then I thought what the hey, try it
>with the ODO button pressed at the same time as doing the key on off cycle.
>(1997 Dakota 318) Huh! I got a "Chec" on the ODO, seconds later a "950",
>then seconds after that a "999", then the lights and gauges on the dash did
>there thing. Neat, first time my tach and speedo were that far to the
>right! I guess it can be done. Any way has any one else experienced the
>"Chec, 950, 999" before, and if so what does it mean? Got me curious.

Check the archives. I asked this question a couple of years ago but failed
to save the response. :-( The "950" has something to do with the airbag
light and the other is, I think, the end of test code. Mine gives the same
codes. Maybe a bug in the diagnostic program or a "feature" of our '97s.

Mike Crumley 97 V6 Auto
mail to: mcrumley@airmail.net

Thankfully, Darth Vader never thought of
  using the lesser-known "Jedi colon trick."