4x4, installing tow hooks on a 2000

From: J. Courtenay Brandon (jcbrandon@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 17:12:24 EST

This past weekend I installed a Mopar tow hook kit on
my 2000 4x4.

You can see how I did it at:
http://www.opholio.com/view_pholio.phtmlpholio_id=519387

I'd been looking for a front attachment point solution
since before I bought the truck. Considered various
grill guards and a front receiver hitch. Nothing
seemed ideal. Recently the Dodge website showed a kit
for the 2000 so I went to the dealer and ordered one.
When it arrived and I tried to bolt it up I found the
the illustrations in the instruction sheet didn't
match the parts; and the parts didn't match the truck.
After some research I learned I had the kit for a '99
instead of a 2000 truck. There is no kit for a 2000.

It fits, more easily than I expected. Major
shortcoming is that it doesn't bolt to the front
crossmember as the crossmember on a 2000 is
substantially aft of that on the earlier truck. I had
two mechanical engineer friends look at the thing
before I installed it and both agreed it was plenty
strong enough. The hooks themselves are rated at 5,000
pounds. I figure if the installation is good for half
that it's good enough. I'm never going to dangle the
truck airborne from a single hook.

Anyway, that's how I did it. Have a look and make your
own decisions. If I see you stuck in the woods I'll
offer to yank you out.

cheers,

-J.