RE: New President

From: Peanut (peanut3576@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 18:32:15 EST

Bernd, that's exactly what it looks like can happen to
Gore... he gets majority of popular vote but doesn't
get elected. That is because we're tallied by states,
not as a nation, so each state only has a certain # of
electoral votes (awarded by the # of seats they hold
in congress, only, Washington DC does get 3 of its
own). Mathematically you can win the popular vote,
not the election, and we may see it for the 3rd time
in history if Bush ends up as President. But that's
why the Unites States are NOT a Democracy, we are a
Republic.

(My mom's boyfriend is a high school Government
teacher, he woulda killed me if I didn't pay attention
to this stuff in school)