RE: New President

From: Alex Harris (aharris@signcast.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 20:01:21 EST

Are we a democracy?

"Democracy is a form of government in which the major decisions of
government -- or the direction of policy behind these decisions -- rests
directly or indirectly on the freely given consent of the majority of the
adults governed."

"...it is necessary to dissolve certain misconceptions that have often
plagued discussions of democracy. The first is the view that the only
genuine democracy is “direct” democracy in which all citizens of the
community are present and collectively pass on all legislation..."

"The second misconception is the identification of, or confusion between,
the terms democracy and republic. Strictly speaking, a republican form of
government is one in which the position of the chief titular head of
government is not hereditary."

Anyone with an interest in the democratic form of government should visit
the following essay as a starting place. Lots of great info!

http://gi.grolier.com/presidents/ea/side/democrcy.html

- Alex