Re: truck problems, please help!

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 20:17:51 EST

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Chris Hannon wrote:
> I've been without my truck about a week due to the clutch going out and
> me not having enough time to work on it. The problem now is that I have
> everything back together, new clutch, and the darn thing won't run
> right. It has the check engine light on and it is running really rough
> and lopey. It kind of sounds like it's stroked (this is a V6!) really
> weird. The clutch is also really light and easy to push in. It
> accelerates and runs like poop and I don't know what the heck the deal
> is. Does anyone have any suggestions?
> Here's what I did:
[...]

  Did you disconnect the battery beforehand? (Always a good idea when
you'll be working with any of the electrical stuff.)

  I don't have very much experience in this area, but my first suspect
would be the crankshaft position sensor. Definitely pull the codes
and see what the computer is telling you. It might just be giving
you codes related to the symptoms rather than the problem, but it
sure doesn't hurt to check, just in case.
(See http://www.dakota-truck.net/codes for how to pull the codes and
decipher them.)

  Good luck!!

                                              -Jon-

  .---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'