SCORE Magnum heads for free, read on!

From: Fast4x4Dakota@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 21:29:10 EST

Woo Hoo! I'm so excited, I scored a set of 1994 ( I think ) Magnum heads,
I'm told they came off of a 318 but I'm not sure how to tell. I already took
the heads apart and lost about 4 locks doing so (they shot off across the
shop when I used the valve spring compressor) not a big deal I'll just buy
new ones. The heads were pulled off an engine with a rod knock. They seem
to be in really good shape. They even came with rocker arms! Upon
dissassembely the exhaust guides seem a little on the loose side but I'll
measure that since I didn't calibrate my wrist before feeling the valve in
guide so I may be off base here :o) New valves may be all that's needed.
The seats looked good, but I'll clean the heads better and mangaflux them. I
think the 318's had the bigger valves than the 360's correct? I may just buy
stainless intake and exhaust valves and then if the guides need done I'll
address that problem as well. I'm thinking of porting these with the MP
templates, doing whatever needs done with the valves and guides, a 3 angle
valve job, and back cutting the valves, slap them back together with matching
springs to the cam I want to use, and toss them on my Dakota with a M-1
intake and either an R/T Mopar roller cam or a Hughes grind, what do you guys
suggest? Remember this is a 4x4. I'd use roller rockers when it all went
back together, most likely Hughes 1.6's. Incase you couldn't tell I'm
excited that I scored a set of Mag heads for free! I'll get back to you guys
when I figure out what valves I'm going to use etc... Anyone have anyclue
how to ID these heads? Thanks!

Luke
1996 Black 4x4 Dakota, SLT CC SB, 318, 3" 2 Chamber Flowmaster cat back
exhaust, 9" open element Mr. Gasket Air cleaner, 52mm Ported TB, 3923
Autolites, A-518 / 46RE, 3.55 geared Peg Leg 8 1/4, 31x10.50 BFG Mud
Terrains, Alpine CD player, Infinity Kappa Speakers.
Coming soon: E-Body 8 3/4" Rear axle, 3.55 gears, Detroit locker, 10" Brakes,
and Moser Engineering custom alloy axles!