Re: oil level in 4.7

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 17:24:48 EST

Its very difficult to get all the oil out. Trust the dipstick. Check it again
after running the engine. If you put the filter on empty (no oil in the
filter) then it will hold nearly a qt itself.

Run the engine, allow it to warmup (so the oil gets thinner and will drain down
better and read on the stick more accurately), get all the hollows filled with
oil. Shut it off and let it sit 10 to 20 minutes (to be safe) and check the
level on the dipstick again. Add as required.

If you have 5 qts in there then there is plenty of oil for running the engine
to warmup as described above, so don't worry about that.

As usual, check you drain plug and filter if you have any doubts about their
state!