MSD Problem

From: Jayson Bentley (bentlejp@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 23:26:40 EST

Hello all,
I'm hoping that someone out there will have a some
helpful suggestions for my MSD problem. Here's the
scenario:

I have a 98 RAM SS/T 5.9 Auto that I just tuned up. I
also wanted to add an MSD 6A to it at the same time.
I also used a Borg Warner Cap and Rotor and Autolite
3923 pulgs (gaped at .45}, an Accel Electronic
Supercoil, MSD 8.5mm wires, and Jacobs Boot
Protectors. I origially intended to install an MSD
Blaster 2, but I didn't realize that the tower
connector was different (my bad). So I went to
Autozone and found the hottest coil that had the right
connectors (an Accel Electronic Supercoil). Please
let me know if this is where I went wrong.

Everything seemed to install pretty easily except for
having to extend the wires from the MSD 6A over to
where the stock coil was mounted. I mounted the
Supercoil on the passenger side innerfender instead of
the stock position to move it away from the heat of
the manifold (soon to be header). I also used
anti-sease and dielectric grease.

Here's the problem. After all was installed, it
started and ran, but didn't seem to sound right.
After running for a couple min I was hoping the idle
would settle down, but it doesn't seem to want to. It
just starts to smooth out and then the RPMs jump about
50-75 causing the motor to jerk. It does this every
couple of seconds (start to smooth out, then jump).
I'm not noticing any back firing and I reved it up a
few times to about 4K. I didn't try to drive it yet,
because I'm sure somethings not quite right.

Anyone got any suggestions? Your help is very much
appreciated!

Jayson
in St. Louis
1998 Ram SS/T