Re: MSD Problem

From: Grady Ogburn (jgo@uswest.net)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 00:26:52 EST

Jayson-

> Anyone got any suggestions? Your help is very much
> appreciated!

I'll warn you to check the one thing that caused me problems, although your
symptoms don't sound like mine. The Red lead from the MSD box needs to go
to battery positive, and the black lead needs to go to battery negative
(according to the manual) or ground, right. In my case, a seemingly natural
place to mount things was the entry to the Power Control Module (where all
your fuses are, on Daks it sits above the fender well on the driver's side),
where a red and black pair of wires are mounted. I mistakenly assumed that
the black lead there was negative (where on earth I got *that* idea, I'll
wonder forever ;), when in fact it is HOT to the alternator. I cranked 'er
up and she ran great for a few seconds, then (like I said) she started
sending up smoke signals. Blew the 140amp alternator fuse, and the MSD
black lead got too hot to the touch. I shut 'er down before anything else
bad happened.

Apparently, the MSD unit can ground through the enclosure, otherwise I'm at
a loss as to why it ever ran when wired that way, with both leads on
positive.

At any rate, I thought I'd let others learn from my stupid mistake. Good
luck.

Grady Ogburn
'98 Sport CC 4x4
5.2l, 5 Speed