Re: Newsgroup (was: Another test, please ignore - 1 attachments)

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 17:48:01 EST

drazaelb@yahoo.com (Jason Bleazard) wrote in
<20001114213613.13226.qmail@web4005.mail.yahoo.com>:
>--- Jon <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote:
>> Yep, just working on getting this up and running. When its
>> set up, the list will be mirrored on a private newsgroup, and
>> posts to the list can be made either to the list as usual or to
>> the newsgroup, and they'll show up in both places no matter
>> where they were posted from.
>>
>> Should help out those folks who want to contribute but can't
>> handle actually downloading all of the mail...
>
>Cool! I'm not familiar with private newsgroups. I assume that's to
>keep the spammers off? How does it work (username / password to
>connect to the server, or what)? Nosy hackers want to know.

  Yep, mainly to try to cut down on spam... Many moons ago, the list
was "mirrored" (one way) to a news server, then subsequently got sucked in (by
dejanews I think) and the spam started to pour in... This way, there
is a usercode and a password (both public) but it isn't shared or transferred
to anyone else. (Controllable now since I run the NNTP server) :-)

  I'm going to set it up initially such that posting is open (you don't have to
be subscribed anywhere to post), but if that becomes a problem, I'll implement
a "subscribe/unsubscribe" scheme for the newsgroup.

>Come to think of it, this will also let us read DML both at home and
>work without using a web based e-mail like Yahoo. I like it...

Yep! :-) The threading should be nice too...

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'