Re: Synthetic Conversion Questions and other stuff

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 18:19:07 EST

> I am planning on changing out all my fluids to synthetic. For those of
you
> with the Factory Service Manuals could you assist me in capacities and
> requirements? I think I can do it all but the transmission, in that case
> have to find a shop that will install Amsoil.(the only one who makes ATF+3
> synthetic that I found)
> Any other recommendations on brands?
> I need the following capacities:
> Front Differential
> Rear Differential
> Transfer Case
> Transmission
>
> My truck is a 1999, SLT, CC, 4x4, Auto, HD service group, and trailer tow
> package. Is there a way to tell what transmission, transfer case, and
> differential I have from the vin or do I have to look on the truck
> somewhere? (vin# 1B7-GG22Y2XS-103556)
> I would also like to know if any one knows where I could get Chrome
> Differential covers for the front and rear.
> Thanks for all your help!

Really all I can add to this is one thing: Dont put anything other than 7176
ATF+3 in your tcase, if you have an NP231. My tcase(NP231) calls for 7176
and it says "if 7176 is not available use Dexron III". Well dont use it. I
put Mobil 1 ATF(synthetic) in my Daks tcase and I couldnt get 4WD to engage
and the tcase lever was very hard to pull back. I flushed the Mobill 1 crap
out and filled it back up with Amsoil ATF(what I normally use in the tcase)
and the lever is smooth as can be and the 4WD system engages flawlessly. So
check and see if your Dak's tcase requires 7176, and it it does, USE 7176
ATF+3 only. Hope this helps. I use Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 in my trucks
front and rear diff as well. Go Amsoil all the way! Stay away from Mobil1;
just MY OPINION.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6