Newsgroup access to DML now active!

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 19:54:41 EST

WOOHOO! Looks like its finally working! All it took was a little
munging and hacking. ;-)

  OK, here's the deal... The DML is still available the same way it
always was, where you interact via e-mail messages. However, it is
now *also* available as a newsgroup. For those of you unfamiliar
with newsgroups, ummm.... I'm not sure exactly how to explain them.
:-) Surely there must be a good description out there somewhere.
Or maybe someone can come up with a good explanation. Basically the
posts appear in the group similar to individual e-mail messages, but
you aren't forced to actually download the message to read it. (You
"go to" the group and messages rather than having the messages "come
to" you. The news reader can show you the subjects (threaded nicely),
and you choose what you want to read, and only those messages are
downloaded. As Andy Levy mentioned, there are a mess of other cool
features too, but the one that will probably matter to most DMLers is
the fact that you don't have to receive a ton of mail to participate
in the DML.

  It doesn't matter whether you post your messages the usual way,
via e-mail to dakota-truck@buffnet.net or via the dakota-truck
newsgroup. Your message will show up in both places.

  You will need a news reader to be able to access the newsgroup.
Most versions of Netscape and Internet Explorer have them built-in.
There are also many to choose from at http://www.tucows.com.

  Since there are so many different news readers out there, I
won't be able to tell you exactly how to configure yours to read
the DML newsgroup, but here is the basic information which should
allow you to figure out how to do it:

   News server: news.dakota-truck.net
      usercode: dml
      password: dml

   The name of the newsgroup is "dakota-truck".

  Well, like I mentioned, it appears to be working now, so those of you
who want to give 'er a try, have at it! :-)

PS: Currently, you do not have to go through any sort of "subscribe"
procedure to be able to post to the DML via the newsgroup. I'm
planning to just leave it like that for now, but if spam and such
were to become a problem, I'll implement a process whereby you will
need to "subscribe" in order to post. (Basically, "subscribing" would
involve me putting your e-mail address in an "approved poster" list
somewhere.)

  If you have any questions, comments, problems, or concerns, feel free
to drop me a line. TTYL!

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'