Re: 46RE Shift Kit Advice needed ASAP

From: Scott Quaranta (mquarantaca@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 10:11:50 EST

on 11/15/00 6:41 AM, Fast4x4Dakota@aol.com at Fast4x4Dakota@aol.com wrote:

> Hey everyone I'm getting my transmission rebuilt and they will put in a shift
> kit at the same time if I buy it. What works? This is a 1996 4x4 Dakota
> with the A-518 / 46RE. I'm thinking of going Trans Go, any good / bad
> experiences?? I just want a nice firm shift, it doesn't need to break the
> tires loose 1st to 2nd, but I wand a quick positive shift, and improved
> transmission life. I'll also be adding a fairly large trans cooler when it's
> all done. As far as I can tell there are only 2 companies that make a shift
> kit for my truck, Trans Go and Level 10. If no one replies I guess I'll just
> go out on a limb and guess, but I really don't want to do that with my new
> $1400 slush box.
>
> Luke
> 1996 Black 4x4 Dakota, SLT CC SB, 318, 3" 2 Chamber Flowmaster cat back
> exhaust, 9" open element Mr. Gasket Air cleaner, 52mm Ported TB, 3923
> Autolites, A-518 / 46RE, 3.55 geared Peg Leg 8 1/4, 31x10.50 BFG Mud
> Terrains, Alpine CD player, Infinity Kappa Speakers.
> Coming soon: E-Body 8 3/4" Rear axle, 3.55 gears, Detroit locker, 10" Brakes,
> and Moser Engineering custom alloy axles!

Hi Luke,

I had mine done and helped my buddy do his on our 00 R/T cc

The Trans go is a great mod. there is a couple of different ways to set it
up and by the look of your signature you are probally going for firmer
shifts not for barking the tires on the 1-2 shift. This type of setup is
easly obtained by just following the instructions, I would go with the
stiffest spring on the T/V cable and at least 4 turns on the t/v valve.

Scott Q