Re: 46RE Shift Kit Advice needed ASAP

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 15:47:28 EST

At 09:41 AM 11/15/00 EST, you wrote:
>Hey everyone I'm getting my transmission rebuilt and they will put in a
shift
>kit at the same time if I buy it. What works? This is a 1996 4x4 Dakota
>with the A-518 / 46RE. I'm thinking of going Trans Go, any good / bad
>experiences?? I just want a nice firm shift, it doesn't need to break the
>tires loose 1st to 2nd, but I wand a quick positive shift, and improved
>transmission life. I'll also be adding a fairly large trans cooler when
it's
>all done. As far as I can tell there are only 2 companies that make a shift
>kit for my truck, Trans Go and Level 10. If no one replies I guess I'll
just
>go out on a limb and guess, but I really don't want to do that with my new
>$1400 slush box. Luke

Luke

I've had the TransGo kit in since last June. It performs as advertised ...
up/down and auto./manual shifts are firm and slippage is lessened.

A couple of years or so ago, a few DMLers had reported problems with
erratic upshifts at WOT. I experienced the same shortly after installation.
The experienced installer said that he thought that the problem was
that the kit was not really made for our electronically-controlled trannies.
If I wasn't into drag racing, I would not know that I even had this problem
... up/down shifts, manual/auto. at part throttle and at WOT at 5000 rpms
and below are dead on.

I recently crawled underneath and taken some readings from the tranny ports.
Everything is fine except for the governor pressure solenoid reading. The
Mopar Now mag. also says that there was also a known problem with the
governor pressure sensor in the 42/44/45/46REs (first time that I have come
across this!) I plan to replace both over the winter but will not know
if the problem has been fixed under the track opens next year.

I must say that others (on this and other lists) have written in to say
that they have not had any problems with the TransGo kit.

Hope this helps.

Bob. Burlington, Ont., Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
Dyno: 231.2 rwhp 340.0 lb-ft rw torque
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95