Re: 46RE Shift Kit Advice needed ASAP

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 16:51:18 EST

At 04:10 PM 11/15/00 EST, you wrote:
>I think the govenor pressure solenoid is the root of my transmission
failure,
>so I'll tell the trans shop to replace it. What other sensors are there to
>worry about? Did you install the kit yourself? Have you had to tweak it
>since it's been in? How do you like it for daily driving? Too harsh? How
>did you set it up? Sorry for the 400 questions but the truck goes in
>tomorrow I think to get the trans! Thanks again! Luke

The tranny shop should be able to test the governor pressure solenoid manually
by hooking up a pressure gauge to the appropriate port on the tranny case.

Replacing the governor pressure sensor requires removing the tranny pan
and then removing a bracket holder for the governor pressure solenoid ...
a gasket for the holder and an O-ring (I think for the sensor) would be
needed.

The kit was installed by a local tranny person with a very good rep on
an agreed-upon cash transaction when I had the cam etc. installed. He
told me that he drilled the largest holes available in the kit.

I adjusted the forward bands just before the track closed a week ago Sunday
and I believe that it firmed things up a bit more (upshift to next gear seemed
to be slightly quicker). Adjusting the rear bands requires removing the
tranny pan.
Someone mentioned a little while ago that adjusting the bands 1/8 turn more
than recommended in the FSM gave firmer and quicker upshifts ... don't know as
I did not try this.

Manual upshifts on the street are mildly firm but not harsh. Auto. upshifts
and downshifts are barely noticeable from stock except that they happen
quicker
(less slippage). Manual downshifts are near instantaneous especially if your
speed is up (this would be my definition of harsh).

Good luck.

Bob. Burlington, Ont., Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
Dyno: 231.2 rwhp 340.0 lb-ft rw torque
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95