RE: Re: RE: RE: Really Bad V6 MPG- HELP!!

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 00:09:45 EST

I don't know the specifications of a 93 and how the emissions systems worked
back then. In today's Dakota's the PCM can work in closed or open loop.
Closed loop is when all the emissions controls are in effect. The O2
sensors send information to the PCM which then regulates the air/fuel
mixture so as to cause the least emissions. This tends to lean out your
air/fuel mixture. When in open loop, such as WOT or truck warming up, O2
sensor information is disregarded and the air/fuel tables that are built
into the PCM are used. These tables tend to have your engine running richer
because 1) your engine is warming up and needs to run richer until the
warm-up phase is complete, or 2) you want performance, the PCM knows by the
amount of throttle being presented to it in a given time frame. If you were
in open loop all the time you'd be running slightly rich and consume more
fuel. This would drop your gas mileage. I don't how big of a drop it would
be or if it would even be significant as in your case. I would think a V6
can get closer to 20 mpg. One thing to keep in mind. Our Dakota's aren't
known to be efficient where fuel consumption is concerned. The suggestions
I have are the same as everyone else has suggested. If all else fails you
may want to try a different PCM and see if that makes a difference.

HTH,
Ron
00 SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD
For modifications see my DML Profile