RE: New To List, Possible Timing Problem

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 12:06:32 EST

Hi Andrew.

With the timing cover off, take a look at the Cam and Crank Gear. They will
have a small "punch" mark on both of them. You need to make sure that both
of these are lined up (facing each other). Rotate the engine 360 degrees to
make sure that they line up again...just to make sure. If this is correct,
the Cam and Crank timing is set properly. (This is from the '97 FSM for a
2.5L...and it shows that they use a chain as well.)

They also have a verification test to make sure that it is installed
properly buy rotating the assembly to a (pictured in the manual) location
where there's a 20-tooth count between them. I can't draw this on the
computer and I, unfortunately, don't have a scanner handy at this moment.
:(

If you want to find TDC (or very close to it) on #1, find yourself a cork,
shave it to fit the plug hole, and turn the crank until the cork pops. This
should be very close to TDC and maybe only a few degrees off...you can turn
the crank to get the balancer to match TDC. (Old trick that still works
today.) You need to make sure that the Cam and Crank gears are set properly
though to get this to work.

Does the engine turn over really hard as if something it holding it back?
If so, you could be off on the timing gears (advanced).

Hope this helps you...

- Bernd